[Pgbigm-hackers] Release Note pg_bigm 1.1

Back to archive index

Beena Emerson memis****@gmail*****
2013年 10月 22日 (火) 20:47:50 JST

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM, Fujii Masao <masao****@gmail*****> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Beena Emerson <memis****@gmail*****>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 11:52 PM, Fujii Masao <masao****@gmail*****>
> wrote:

> >> I'm afraid that it's not easy for a user to understand what this change
> >> is.
> >> Could you change this description so that a user can more easily
> >> understand?
> >> Since this change came from the change of pg_trgm, I think that you can
> >> consult the release note of PostgreSQL about that change of pg_trgm.

There is no mention of this change in the release note.

I think we can add the following as the explanation:
Previously, if USE_WIDE_UPPER_LOWER was not defined, the multibyte
character boundaries are ignored and bigrams was made from bytes instead.
Since formation of bigrams does not have to depend on presence of to_lower
and friends, it has been removed.

> I'm wondering if users may need to rebuild the index when upgrading pg_bigm
> from version 1.0 to 1.1 if its platform that pg_bigm is running depends on
> USE_WIDE_UPPER_LOWER. That is, in that platform, removing that flag may
> mean the change of index key layout.

As the commit information on pg_trgm states:
"If there is anybody still using Postgres on machines without wcstombs() or
towlower(), and they have non-ASCII data indexed by pg_trgm, they'll need
to REINDEX those indexes after pg_upgrade to 9.3, else searches may fail
incorrectly. It seems likely that there are no such installations, though."

So I feel, even in bigm this would be the case and we might have to add
similar information in the release note.

Discussion links:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/21256****@sss*****

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/E1UOu****@gemul*****

--