[MinGW-Notify] [mingw] #39763: different approximation of float in Wind and in Linux

Back to archive index
MinGW Notification List mingw****@lists*****
Fri Nov 15 23:28:53 JST 2019

#39763: different approximation of float in Wind and in Linux

  Open Date: 2019-11-14 22:43
Last Update: 2019-11-15 14:28

URL for this Ticket:
    https://osdn.net//projects/mingw/ticket/39763
RSS feed for this Ticket:
    https://osdn.net/ticket/ticket_rss.php?group_id=3917&tid=39763

Last Changes/Comment on this Ticket:
 * Status Update from Open to Closed

 * Resolution Update from None to Invalid

Comment:

Hello Claus,

I have three comments:

  • Firstly, this is neither a bug report, nor a feature request; it is a
    support request, (for which use of this ticket system is not appropriate);
    as such it should have been directed to the mailing list, where it would
    attain better exposure, and have a greater chance of attracting a fruitful
    discussion, (which it will not achieve here).
  • Secondly, the compiler you are using is badged as a TDM release, which is
    not a genuine MinGW.org product. Indeed, the TDM distributor is not
    authorized to use the MinGW trademark, so describing the TDM product as
    "MinGW" is, technically, a trademark infringement.
  • Finally, I've compiled your code fragment, (with addition of appropriate
    header files, and wrapping it within a main function), using my genuine
    (albeit experimental) MinGW build of GCC-9.2, (built as a Linux hosted
    cross-compiler), with mingwrt-5.2.2 and w32api-5.2.2, and running under
    Wine-4.18, I cannot reproduce your issue ... I see results of 25 in both
    cases.

Ticket Status:

      Reporter: claus
         Owner: (None)
          Type: Issues
     MileStone: (None)
     Component: GCC
      Severity: 5 - Medium
    Resolution: Invalid

Ticket details:

Dear developers, when I run the following code:

int x=5; printf ("%d\n" , (int)pow(x,2)); printf ("%d\n" , (int)pow(5,2));

I get different results if working on: - Windows 7 and 10, gcc version: gcc
(tdm-1) 5.1.0 from last MinGW was the same some years ago with previous
versions: the results are 24 and 25; - Linux, many distro, many gcc versions:
the results are 25 and 25. To me, the Windows answer should be the same as the
first argument is int 5 in both cases. Could you please give a clarification. I
wasn't able to find any justification for my univ. students. Thank you in
advance

Claus

--
Ticket information of MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows project
MinGW - Minimalist GNU for Windows Project is hosted on OSDN

Project URL: https://osdn.net/projects/mingw/
OSDN: https://osdn.net