[macemacsjp-english 632] Re: Opening UTF-8 text files

Back to archive index

Jean-Christophe Helary fusio****@mx6*****
Thu Aug 17 00:21:20 JST 2006

Mahn-soo,

It is not only European languages that used the 8th byte. Japanese
used it to produce what we call "hankaku" (半角, half size)
characters, mostly katakana and punctuation marks. Now single byte
Japanese is obsolete but the characters remain in double byte
encoding...

And good luck with Spanish ! I gave up on Korean a long while ago,
not being able to distinguish some vowels and consonants that sounded
too similar for my ear...

Jean-Christophe