[macemacsjp-english 88] Re: Problems (complaints, whines :-) with the Tiger build

Back to archive index

Seiji Zenitani zenit****@tkg*****
Sun Jun 5 03:13:00 JST 2005

Hi,

On 2005/06/03, at 9:17, Mark Eichin wrote:

> I'd been using the earlier panther build of Emacs.app, and when I
> upgraded to Tiger, installed the new Tiger build (because the panther
> build stopped running at all, on 10.4.1)  There are a few things that
> may be considered, features, I'm not sure, but I'd rather they went
> back to the old behavior:
>
> 1) Keygrabbing changed.  It used to be that cmd-/ got me dynamic
> completion; now it only does *sometimes*, most of the time it gets me
> the %-/ shortcut in Emacs->Services->Unicode->HTML Entities to Unicode
> (as supplied by UnicodeChecker.app.)  This never happenned before --
> is there a way convince emacs that it owns the keyboard again?

As far as I checked, M-/ (both escape-/ and command-/) is assigned to
dabbrev-expand and it always gets me the dynamic completion.

> M-/ (translated from <escape> /) runs the command dabbrev-expand
>    which is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in `dabbrev'.
> It is bound to M-/.
> (dabbrev-expand arg)

> 2) tool-bar-mode no longer hides the dock and menu-bar.  One of the
> reasons I liked the panther version over the fink-X11 version is that
> it got me more screen space; on a 12" PowerBook, every last bit helps.
>  I'd like to request that either that feature come back, or there be
> an option to re-enable it;  I'll build my own from source if I have
> to, but that seems extreme and I can't be the *only* one that liked it
> that way :-)

Maybe you are talking about menu-bar-mode, which was provided by the
hide-menu-bar-patch. Since Emacs unexpectedly hides the menu-bar when
the user uses elisp programs that have small sub-windows (ediff or
speed-bar), I no longer use the patch. That feature should be
provided in other way. I think it's worth considering.

> 3) cut&paste from safari no longer converts newlines properly (ie. I
> get ^M all the time, and that didn't happen before.)  I don't actually
> know if this is a safari change or an emacs change, nor have I found
> an obvious way to tweak selection-coding-system to do the right thing
> (though I'm still working on that.)

At my hand copy&paste from safari works fine and no such a problem is
reported from japanese users. If you succeed in solving the problem
and if my distribution needs fix, please write to me.

greetings,

Seiji